Saturday, January 05, 2013

LIVING WELL: INTENTIONS

Talking with a lot of my friends over the past couple months concerning the topic of wellness, one major theme we've discussed is the reasons why we choose to exercise and eat right. I can't count the number of times I've heard reasons of wanting to fit into a certain dress or wanting to look good for an upcoming event. Most of the reasons were temporary point "A" to point "B" goals. At first, my idea of being healthy was this perception that someone wasn't happy with something about themselves so they set to reach a particular weight loss goal to be happier. I often thought to myself, "Well what then? What happens after the goal is met? is that the time to stop working toward health & go back to our old habits?"

It wasn't until April of last year that I felt I really began to understand health and why it would be important in someone's life besides just reaching a particular goal. I began to realize that my body is a vessel and I should seek to love myself by giving my body the good things it needs; not to reach a certain goal, but to live a lifestyle of health. We are always told to be good stewards of our possessions and money, but what about being good stewards of ourselves? Is that being self-centered or is that striving towards being the "best you" so we can go out and live fully, do the things we are passionate about, and be a fantastic sibling, child, spouse, partner, and parent? I would argue striving to be our best selves is a way in which we can LOVE and DO more fully.


As the new year begins and as many of us make resolutions for health, I would challenge you to ask yourself what your intentions are for your wellness journey. Let's seek after lives where wellness is a "forever" journey, where we want to build habits that last a lifetime and that inspires those around us. Where we are willing to keep promises to ourselves and love ourselves enough to steward something so precious.

While reading one of my favorite books on health, Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr, I came across her thoughts on self-stewardship and loved how she inspired me to think about it:

“Picture yourself when you were five. In fact, dig out a photo of little you at that time and tape it to your mirror. How would you treat her, love her, feed her? How would you nurture her if you were the mother of little you? I bet you would protect her fiercely while giving her space to spread her itty-bitty wings. She’d get naps, healthy food, imagination time, and adventures into the wild. If playground bullies hurt her feelings, you’d hug her tears away and give her perspective. When tantrums or meltdowns turned her into a poltergeist, you’d demand a loving time-out in the naughty chair. From this day forward I want you to extend that same compassion to your adult self.”  - Kris Carr

So, let's do this thing! Let's care about and love our bodies. Let's be compassionate and caring to ourselves. Let's encourage ourselves with truth and seek to live BIG and fully.

Photo found here and edited by me. 


17 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E this image and post. Well written, and totally inspiring!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you shared your thoughts on this subject and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Wellness is a lifelong commitment. Honestly, the reason why I stick with my regimen, is not only because it works, but because I function best when I choose whole foods, exercise, and adequate rest. It also allows me to be present, rather than to just go through the motions of day to day life. Thanks for sharing these powerful words. -Ruth-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5.1.13

    Love this inspiring post! (And wanted to say that your uh, about me section under your picture to the left says "Married to by high-school sweetheart." I just thought you might want to know that.) :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I'm in the process of eating healthy and getting into a regular exercise routine and this is too perfect! Thank you for more motivation :)

    Grace
    http://gracep-photos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I'm always turned off by the "I'm going to eat healthy because it will make me pretty."...as though being thin is the only way to be attractive (here comes the feminist in me...).
    Eating healthier and exercising should be for YOU - not for people's perceptions of you.
    Very inspiring post :)
    Happy New Year!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! People need to hear this more. I'm always so cautious about what we eat, and how I treat my body. Simply for the fact of being my children's prime example of a good way to treat yourself. Now and days it's always about what a person looks like. Not ever about WHO they are and how they try to live as a person. Good for you girl! So glad you recognized this and spread the word!

    -Jenna
    www.honeybeesandtealeaves.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE!

    Christen
    http://www.anunordinaryhello.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great excerpt from Kriss Karr. I've never heard of that perspective before, but it's so true. Makes me think of the way I take care of my daughter and how much I want for her to grow healthy and strong. I should desire that just as much for myself....but it's so easy to push aside. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you, sister. Taking a plunge into the Paleo lifestyle starting tomorrow. It's so interesting to learn about. Check out Robb Wolf for more info, even just for some more motivation to make healthy choices!

    Aisha
    www.themiddleofhere.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. One of my resolutions is to be HEALTHY. It is not to lose weight or be skinnier at all. I have had health issues that I've been struggling with for probably 5 years and always put off and put on the backburner to work on later and I have failed to take care of them and finally be done with them once and for all. I have decided 2013 is THAT year that I finally take care of it. My health is too important to put in last place and the worry of it now makes me very sad and constantly anxious. I want to finally get my body to how it was always meant to be and so I can be happy and confident with it and be free of the stress of worry all the time. I know it will be a lot of work and I won't be able to do it without constant positivity and prayer but I am really excited to live better and well and finally take back my life and health. I have to it for my family and any future family of mine but also for myself. May 2013 be the big year that I finally change this life of mine around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry for leaving such a long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really and truly enjoy reading your blog, it has quickly become a favourite of mine. Thank you for taking time to write posts like these and to make me think more about life and the important things that we should spend more time on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a profound quote!! I think I may have to get that book...I like her perspective! =)

    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently saw the author of that book on a documentary and she was very inspiring. I need to read her book.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7.1.13

    Love your post!!! this is exactly what I would like to do, for my son and for me...
    I read Kriss Carr book (after reading one of your post) and I found so inspiring!

    Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete